Nothing screams “we are celebratingggg” like a spraying bottle of champagne, right? If you are thinking about popping some champagne at your next photo session, I’m here to share some tips to ensure that your photos are everything you are dreaming of!
1. Make sure that you have everything you’ll need to open the bottle.
Most bottles of champagne have a metal cage that is holding in a cork, but once I was on a session with a bottle of champagne and it had a bottle cap! Good thing we fancied a buckle to open the cap…but it would have been much easier if I was carrying a bottle opener.
2. Make sure everyone is ready before you open the bottle.
Ensure that everyone in the photo knows what to do, how to stand, what to do with their hands, etc. Also make sure that the photographer is ready for the shot!
3. Open the bottle and slide your thumb over the top while leaving a small slit.
You know when you are holding a garden hose and you want to spray the water more forcefully? You put your thumb over the mouth of the hose and it “sprays” the water, right? It is the same with the champagne bottle! However, the liquid is not being forced out of the bottle as it is in a hose, so you have to shake it up and down while your thumb is covering most of the bottle top. Make sure you are holding the bottle at an angle away from your body.
VOILA! Your dream champagne popping photo becomes a reality!
I know that some states/towns have an open container law, but no worries, you can do the exact same thing with sparkling grape juice! Below is how to take off the label if you want to conceal the fact that you aren’t actually shaking a bottle of champagne. Sneaky sneaky…
- Make a paste out of baking soda and water.
- Cover the labels you want to come off and let it soak in for 1 hour.
- Rinse the paste off.
- Take more of the paste and rub circles on the labels. They will come right off!